A brief early history of The Wheel Inn

 
Apart from being the home of The Wheel Inn, Tresillian has two main claims to fame.  Between 1381 and 1387, Robert Tresilian, Chief Justice of the King's Bench (senior Judge in England & Wales) lived in the village.  We understand that at various times the Inn has been the setting for Coroner's inquests, as well as the venue for sittings of the Circuit Judge.  What now acts as a store for the cleaning equipment may have been a cell for the temporary incarceration of prisoners! 
 
In more recent times, in 1645, during the English Civil War, important negotiations took place on Tresillian Bridge between Thomas Fairfax (Parliamentarian/Roundheads), whose headquarters were in the Inn, and Ralph Hopton (Royalists/Cavaliers), resulting in Fairfax occupying the nearby city of Truro.  The bridge was then much closer to the Inn, as the main road ran across the front of the building and down what is now the access to our car park, before crossing the river.  Rumour has it that the notch on Table 1 in the bar was created by a careless Cavalier's sword - we will never know the truth.
 
The Inn is supposedly haunted, and there are reliable witnesses to certain events which cannot be explained.  Dogs who had previously been regular visitors to the Inn suddenly started to bark at the stairs, and could no longer be persuaded to come in.  Glasses jumped off the shelf in the bar when there was nobody nearby.  A glass defying the laws of motion and swinging unaided on a hook for over half an hour.  Not all of these events can be explained by the effects of the consumption of alcohol!
Comments